Saurashtra Patel Kelavani Mandal, Surat was started by a group of enthusiastic
youngsters in 1976 under the guidance of Mr. Vrajlal S. Kamani to help the students of the
lower socioeconomic strata by distribution of books at low cost in the form of a book
bank. Late on Mr. Valjibhai Kesari , them Known batter as the Lion of Saurashtra agreed to
donate a huge amount for library purpose. This led to the development of today’s J. D.
The Library was registered as a self finance public library in 19th July 2004. Later on
from 17th march 2006 the library was converted as a granted city branch library. Now the
library is known as Granted city library from 3rd January 2009. It land of 1594.07
square meter was given by the S.M.C. to this organization. Two big buildings were
developed in these areas giving all facilities like the library, reading rooms, e-library,
reference library, art gallery, auditorium and all of other activities established by the
Saurashtra Patel Kelavani Mandal, Surat.